As I continue to figure out ways to nudge friends and relations away from their deep-seated impulses to vote for John McCain, I realized in full the tidy little scam being pulled on the Amurkan people.
- Cut taxes for the richest 1% of the populace (let’s call them “George’s Friends”) on the grounds that they invest that money and keep the economy going. The rest of us (let’s call them “the Rest of Us”) get basically nothing.
- George’s Friends invest said moneys (when they’re not buying another home or car) in Bear Stearns.
- Bear Stearns makes risky decisions in order to increase profits for George’s Friends.
- Bear Stearns goes belly up, so the government bails it out.
- The Rest of Us pay for the failure through our continued tax payments.
- Profit! (Well, for George’s Friends, anyway.)
When you’re George’s Friends, who needs Underwear Gnomes?