Our lizard has undergone some weight reduction:
He wraps around the staff much more prettily now.
Here’s our next set of materials:
Copper, brass, and aluminum wire. Not sure about the brass, but I felt that three metals/colors were required.
These are to create the required markings for the staff. Remember the grooves?
I drilled a tiny hole in the groove, and then wrapped the wire around the groove. When it was filled, I drilled another tiny hole and stuck the end of the wire in. With a lot of luck, it won’t come undone and poke me in the eye.
Here’s the best shot I could get of the whole thing:
It’s pretty cool looking, I think.
Next is creating the lizard and attaching it to the staff, and then I have to do some thinking about further decoration. You’ll see what I mean after I get the lizard on there.
In other news, one day recently I was out in the labyrinth and right before my eyes a branch holding some bells and a lamp made from a wine bottle crashed to the ground. It was not unexpected—I had noticed that the branch was dead and was twisting lower and lower. The wine bottle thing broke, alas, and quite surprised the wasps who were building a nest in it.
So I had to figure out what to do about the bells. There really aren’t low-hanging branches in the labyrinth, not ones that will support cast-iron bells anyway.
I couldn’t really figure out an attractive solution, so here’s what I ended up with:
I had bought two poles back when I was starting my Old Man staff ideas, so I took the other one and painted it dark green. I’ve lashed it to the tree with camouflage rope—yes, that’s a thing—and hung the bells from that.
It’s not pretty at all, but it will have to serve until I get inspired.