Summer Countdown: Day 22

I worked more on Prelude No. 4, trying to extend the quiet, static upper melody over the simple whole note accompaniment. There were some nice things, but it wasn’t working.

I opened another file and started over with a different approach. That too had some nice bits, but it wasn’t working either.

Friday night, Craig was with me in the labyrinth, and among the many things we talked about was the reason we keep trying to create. As Craig says, he questions whether he has anything to say, or is he just making noise? That’s the trick, isn’t it? With this prelude, I keep trying to find the right notes , otherwise, I feel as if I’m lying to the audience.

I opened a third file and started over, and this time I think it’s working. I developed a chord sequence in the original file that I was going to end the piece with, and I think I’m going to use that same sequence in the new piece with the new approach. I may even retain the sequence of whole note chords as the ending.

It worked indeed. “Prelude (no fugue) No. 4” is now complete, although there’s one note I’m not sure about.

Prelude (no fugue) No. 4: score | mp3

No real work on the AFO piece.

I got a color-mixing assignment from Diane but did not start on it. It was an actual holiday, for one thing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *