OK, so this morning I’ve whined and struggled and come to accept the fact that my little PowerBook G4 isn’t going to be able to handle even a small orchestral ensemble (although actually as I look at it, it’s pretty much a full orchestra with a whole bunch of percussion).
So I took “Blake’s Wonderful Car” and muted everybody. Then I added instruments back in one at a time, testing the opening to see if the distortion returned. I got the strings and the woodwinds, the bass drum, the harp and piano. The cymbals brought back the distortion, but if I deleted the roll in the second measure, we were OK. The xylophone blew it out, so it stayed mute. I got the two French horns back in, and that’s where I’ve stopped for the time being.
I’m still missing the trumpets and trombones, but I may not need them. The tubular bells are probably gone for good.
Some discoveries: If I create markings for pizzicato and arco, then Finale automatically switches the GPO strings back and forth. This is good, because otherwise I have to input, in a second voice, a note so low that my keyboard won’t go there. It’s a pain. Also, the solo flute has flutter tongue available, which I needed for this piece, but it only plays one note. The “flute player 1” will play the two parts, but has no flutter tongue.
UNRELATED UPDATE: There was a photo on the front page of the paper this morning that I thought was instructive, so I’ve included it in a previous post.